Monday, August 24, 2009

The Great Foot Escape

I have never liked hot feet. I loathe socks, and will only wear them if it's ten below zero. Someone who didn't know me personally would be shocked if they visited me while I was asleep because they would find me fully covered with a blanket or sheet from shoulders to ankles. Yes, ankles. I have gotten used to being teased by family members from time to time. I never thought much about it, but I did figure it to be a weird and uncommon trait to have.

Imagine my surprise when I finally put two and two together and figured out why I was having such a hard time keeping Layla's feet and legs covered. I would swaddle her, or cover her with a blanket while she slept, only to find 2-3 minutes later that her feet, and only her feet, had escaped and broken free. I would methodically cover her feet again and again only to pass by her crib or pack-n-play moments later to witness blanket free feet.
Finally, I decided to stand and watch to see how The Great Foot Escape occurs. I covered her up and watched. She started by kicking one foot until it was free from the blanket, and then repeated the process with the other foot, all the while grunting as if in distress. I laughed out loud when she was done.
It finally dawned on me that she hates hot feet!
Some how, some way, that quirk of mine got woven into the strands of her DNA.
It's exciting to meet someone else who can feel my pain.
I only have to wait, oh, five years or so to discuss this with her.
I'll wait.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that's too funny. Funny & amazing at the same time! =)

    ReplyDelete

Quotes



These are the years, the gentle years,the soft and sentimental years
when wee little fingers reach and touch
and little eyes gaze with wonder and trust,
when you love so tenderly and so so much,
these are the gentle years.

These are the years, the rainbow years, the quiet, walk-on-tiptoes years,
the years of laughter and smiles and sighs
when both of you watch with misty eyes the tiny bed
where a cherub lies,
these are the rainbow years.

These are the years, the tender years, the blissful, sweet-surrender years,
when your little treasure from above
is the soul and purpose and center of your plans and dreams and dearest love,
these are the tender years.

- Barbara Burrow
 

The Wow Factor | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates